Vancouver, BC – The West Coast Book Prize Society is pleased to announce the names of the winners of the 33rd Annual BC Book Prizes.
Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize awarded to the author of the best work of fiction:
• Jennifer Manuel, The Heaviness of Things That Float (Douglas and McIntyre)
Roderick Haig-Brown Regional Prize to recognize the author(s) of the book that contributes most to the enjoyment and understanding of British Columbia:
• Neil J. Sterritt, Mapping My Way Home: A Gitxsan History (Creekstone Press)
Hubert Evans Non-Fiction Prize awarded to the author of the best original non-fiction literary work:
• Deborah Campbell, A Disappearance in Damascus: A Story of Friendship and Survival in the Shadow of War (Knopf Canada)
Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize awarded to the author of the best work of poetry:
• Adèle Barclay, If I Were in a Cage I’d Reach Out for You (Nightwood Editions)
Christie Harris Illustrated Children’s Literature Prize presented to the best illustrated book written for children:
• Monique Gray Smith, illustrated by Julie Flett, My Heart Fills With Happiness (Orca Book Publishers)
Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize awarded to the best non-illustrated book written for children:
• Iain Lawrence, The Skeleton Tree (Tundra Books)
Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award presented to the originating publisher and author(s) of the best book in terms of public appeal, initiative, design, production, and content:
• Richard Wagamese, Embers: One Ojibway’s Meditations (Douglas and McIntyre)
Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence:
• Douglas Coupland is the recipient of this award established in 2003 by the Honourable Iona Campagnolo, which recognizes British Columbia writers who have contributed to the development of literary excellence in the province.
A total of $14,000 is awarded to winners with each prize providing $2,000. The recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award receives $5,000, thanks to the generosity of the Government House Foundation. This year’s Lieutenant Governor’s BC Book Prizes Gala, emceed by author JJ Lee, and attended by the Honourable Judith Guichon, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, took place at the Pinnacle Harbourfront Hotel in Vancouver on April 29, 2017.
The BC Book Prizes were established in 1985 to celebrate the achievements of British Columbia writers and publishers. The prizes are administered and awarded by a non-profit society that represents all facets of the publishing and writing community. The West Coast Book Prize Society congratulates all of the winners!
For more information visit www.bcbookprizes.ca.
- Art & Design
- Casting Opportunities
- Celebrity Photographer
- E-commerce - null
- Event Photos
- Feast or Famine
- Health & Fitness
- Media Partners
- News Magazine
- Our City Tonight
- Products And Services
- Real Estate
- Science & Technology
- Series In Production
- Social Issues
- Talent Agency
- Travel + Leisure